Sunday, September 03, 2006

Ubuntu - my first effort at using Linux

After much arm twisting from some friends, I decided to load a version of the Linux operating system on one of my computers. I chose my desktop computer since I had a spare hard drive that I could swap in to hold the operating system.

First impression...not favorable. I have two other hard drives mounted on this computer using an add-in IDE card. The OS acknowledges that those hard drives are there, but will not allow me to access any data on them. I don't know if it is because they are formatted as NTFS or if it is because they are mounted using the add-in card. I will eventually figure it out.

Grumble. I was thinking about loading Ubuntu on an old notebook computer of mine, but the OS needed a more up to date system. Another point against it. I am looking for a streamlined OS that will run on those old machines of mine.

Oh well, live and learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home