Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Three cheers for actor Gary Sinise!

All too often you read about Hollywood types who denigrate our country, our leaders, and our military. It is wonderful to read about a celebrity actor who supports what our forces are doing in Iraq.



9/11 really shook up Mr. Sinise's world: "And all of a sudden to be attacked on our shores like that was a real slap in the face and a wake-up. I just felt like, well, we're a country at war now, and I wanted to be able to do something to help."

He decided to go out and do something productive.

Well, I don't know anybody who wasn't affected by it; certainly at the time everyone was affected by it. I think there are some people that got more active in terms of volunteerism and feeling like life is much more precious than they had ever thought before and having a feeling of wanting to make the most out of it. That's what happened to me. I'm sure it happened to other people as well. And I'm sure there are many people who went back to sleep, or "it's business as usual," and that's unfortunate because I think the world changed that day. We've all heard that said. I just really believe it.


And Mr. Sinise is not following the typical Hollywood mantra about what is going on in Iraq.

I'm in touch with dozens of military service members over there who are working quite diligently on their mission, accomplishing positive things, making progress, and who have a dedication and belief that what they are doing is helping, and therefore their morale is high. Yet in so many media reports we get a completely opposite view of what's happening with our military service members, that they are demoralized or broken or their morale is low and whatnot.

Hat's off to Gary Sinise. I don't watch much tv these days (mostly Fox News and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA), but CSI: New York is now getting added to my viewing schedule! We need more performers like him to provide a boost for our morale here at home and for the troops who are bravely serving our country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home